Media Managers have an overview of all incoming media, identifying and reporting problems and issues. They must have a sound knowledge of server-based environments and all current video codecs. Principal tasks include the restoration of archived clips, using the deletion policy to maintain a healthy percentage of server space, pushing and pulling content between broadcast centres and using the tools available to anticipate and prevent technical problems. They will manage the transcode and delivery of our content to other TRT channels as required, manage FTP sites and the capture or transcoding of Internet content.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- A comprehensive knowledge of server-based news environments along with associated hardware and software.
- A good understanding of newsroom workflows, processes and tools, using this knowledge to serve the needs of the News and Programmes departments and ensuring content is clearly labelled and sent to the correct destination.
- A good understanding of TRT’s deletion policy to maintain a healthy percentage of sever space, and in a time of crisis knowing what can be deleted to free critical space.
- Prioritizing restoration requests to avoid bottlenecks.
- Identifying and delivering content to the other broadcast centres.
- A technical understanding of quality control and the tools needed to achieve this.
- An understanding of live studio production.
- A thorough knowledge of all current codecs and an ability to keep up-to-date with advances in codec technology.
- An ability to recognise and communicate problems early.
- A good knowledge of how a news bulletin is formatted.
A minimum of two years’ experience working in a technical or file based broadcast environment.
An understanding of news and current affairs and an eye for detail.
Technical ability within a broadcast environment
A demonstrable understanding video formats, servers, FTP and broadcast production
Fluency in written and spoken English.
An ability to deal with competing demands and remain calm under pressure.
Server production systems
Broadcast production workflow
A solid understanding of broadcast technical standards
A sound knowledge of current codecs and the tools required to view and transcode.
Able to work independently and as part of a team
Able to work in a fast paced and multicultural news environment
Able to work in a 24/7 shift base environment
A good level of interpersonal skills
Able to multi-task
Organised and punctual